Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine Sweater



Prints Available

This little watercolor is for the Illustration Friday topic, "sweater." I just love big chunky knit things, as many hours pursuing etsy would attest too, so that's what I decided to illustrate. The drawing was really fun to do. It was nice to exaggerate and simplify the figure once I finally let myself. As I was working on the drawing, I knew that I wanted to make it a monochromatic painting in the end. Once it was finished it took me what felt like forever to actually decide what color to make the monochromatic painting. I thought of blue, probably because of the cold. I thought of green because I like green a lot, and it seemed a challenge. I finally decided on the pink-y red of quinacradone rose because it seemed ever so appropriate for Valentines Day. Seems like her favorite sweater is her valentine this year. :) My biggest self critique is that where I started to make the wash for the sweater a graded wash I got way too much water too fast and it didn't make the gradient I was going for at all, but it still works for me. It was good practice and fun to do anyway. Hope you like it!

4 comments:

  1. I've just discovered your blog, it's wonderful! You're very talented!! I like the huge collar, the colors fist the theme of valentine and also her expression, she is in love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful style and colour choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use a big chunky sweater like that. Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the colors and the expression~~

    ReplyDelete

Contact me for pricing on prints or originals.